A visit to Zulu this week started badly. She was definitely down at the stern more than normal, which immediately starts the heart racing, as the last thing I need is to find the engine bilge flooded.
But all was well in the engine department – an automatic bilge pump sees that the rain water is removed and so I relaxed for a moment, until putting the kettle on and finding no water in the taps. I optimistically refilled the tank so I could check for leaks and have a cup of coffee.
It didn’t take a genius to work out that with an empty water tank and a tail heavy appearance, the contents must have moved from the front to the back – and indeed this was confirmed when I opened up the water pump cupboard and found the newly refilled tank pouring its contents back into the newly dry cabin bilge. The Sureflow pump had failed spectacularly – how are these things constructed so badly that they can burst open and flood the boat (this is the third boat with a Sureflow pump and the third time I have had to mop up a leaking Sureflow pump).
I really don’t understand why I then went out and bought another one the same – at least it fitted back into the same space without replumbing too. At least it has a three year guarantee.
So Zulu you well and truly got your revenge for being neglected last month. I promise not to leave you so long again.