Very soon I will be warming up Zulu’s frozen insides and setting off Southbound. In fact I should be there right now, queueing up for the stoppage at Big Lock to be cleared tomorrow so we can get on our way south to our new moorings in Uxbridge over Christmas and New Year. Now I hear that the work, including fitting new gates, will not be finished until at least 23rd, so that is really going to spoil things, because after the New Year, new stoppages begin and some don’t finish until the end of March, so this could be an even longer trip than planned.
I have done everthing I can including booking a trip through Harecastle Tunnel on Monday, in the hope that British Waterways manage to let some boats through the stoppage over the weekend. I have to phone them tomorrow to see if this is going to be possible.
Meanwhile I am still down south watching the temperature drop to a forecast minus 7 tonight and wondering if planning such an ambitious trip over such a short window was such a good idea after all.
Still only 182 miles and 163 locks to go!